Friday, September 11, 2009

Previews Blogging: September Edition (Dark Horse, DC, Image)

Every month, I go through Diamond's Previews to figure out what I want. From now until, I will blog about what I see that catches my attention. Keep in mind that most of my comic buying consist of #1s, collected editions (hardcovers or TPBs), or OGN (original graphic novels). I buy #1s to see if it's something that I will get later in a collected edition

This is the Dark Horse, DC and Image Edition.

DARK HORSE
page 26: Age of Reptiles : The Journey #1 (of 4)
If you are a dinosaur fan, then this comic is a must. Delgado draws dinosaurs like few others. There are 2 other Age of Reptiles collections and I recommend them highly. My only regrets are that 1) they are hard to find and 2) they are not available in hardcover. I would love to see this series collected with the other 2 series into one large hardcover colelction.


page 28: Conan the Cimmerian #16

New Conan. Tim Truman. Nuff said. I'm getting it... in hardcover format.

page 29: The Barry Windsor-Smith Conan Archives Vol 1
I'm a huge Conan mark. You can convince me with very little effort to buy anything Conan and this is no different. This BWS Conan is the format it deserves.

page 37: Hellboy : The Wild Hunt #8 (of 8)
I read all Hellboy series and some of the ancillary series. However, it will be a long time before I get to this series as I'm reading Hellboy in the new hardcover editions. That's fine with me as they are well worth the wait.


DC COMICS

page 72: Batman and Robin #6
Frank Quitely and Morrison sold me on this series, so I'm along for the ride when the entire run is collected.

page 73: Detective Comics #859
Williams has created and absolutely amazing look for Kate Kane, Batwoman and having read the first issue of this new run on Detective, I'm happily waiting for the collected edition.

page 89: Warlord #8
I'm a sucker for sword and sorcery, so I anxiously await the collected edition for this new Warlord series. Add artist Chad Hardin into the mix with writing and art by Mike Grell and this is definitely on my buy list.

page 108: World of Warcraft #25
The Simonsons working together on a sword and sorcery fantasy book. Sign me up.

Page 121: Unwritten #7
Anxiously waiting for the first TPB. I was sold after the first issue.


IMAGE
page 136-141: Image United #1 (of 6)
Anyone who was a fan of early Image is on board for this series. Now, I'm not a fan of all of early Image. I'm not a fan of crossovers, but I'm vaguely interested in this series.

page 151: Chew Vol 1: Taster's Choice TP
Absolutely can not wait to read this. How can you not love a detective that solves crime by eating parts of the victim. It's sick and twisted and so full of potential. Would prefer a hardcover, but will take what I can get.

page 154: The Walking Dead Book 4 HC
I sat down and rewad books 1 and 2 in a book store. I'm very interested in re-reading those as well as 3 and 4, so it's time to start my Walking Dead collection. If you like zombies and aren't reading this, then you should be. This is one of the best titles that Image produces (alongside Invincible).

page 156: Bomb Queen VI #3 (of 4)
Bomb Queen is a guilty pleasure that just doesn't take itself too seriously. In the wrong hands, this book could be very bad, but Jimmie Robinson walks the fine line between farce and self-parody.

page 158: Elephantmen #23
Elephantmen is the best pure sci-fi comics on the shelf. It's beautifully produced with high production and design values. The hardcovers some of the best looking on the shelves.

page 160: Invincible #68

I collect this only in hardcover format, but Invincible is one of the best and most pure fun superhero concepts being published.

page 162: The Mice Templar : Destiny
I'm a sucker even for sword and sorcery featuring mice as the lead characters.

page 163: Savage Dragon #154
This is one of very few comic book that I continue to collect in single format. Savage Dragon is pure fun and it's always great to see Larsen do his thing. After 150+ issues, I still can not predict where Larsen is headed, but I thoroughly enjoy the ride.

page 165: Underground #3 (of 5)
Jeff Parker is an great storyteller when writing and drawing (see his self-published Interman). He's been doing a lot more writing lately (see Agents of Atlas from Marvel) and it's been all very enjoyable. Steve Lieber is one of my favorite artists.

That's it for me and Dark Horse, DC, and Image Previews this month. Catch me on Tuesday with my picks form the rest of Previews.

No comments: