Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Previews Blogging: September Edition (Marvel)

Every month, I go through Diamond's Previews to figure out what I want. From now until, I will blog about what I see that catches my attention. Keep in mind that most of my comic buying consist of #1s, collected editions (hardcovers or TPBs), or OGN (original graphic novels). I buy #1s to see if it's something that I will get later in a collected edition

This is the Marvel Edition.

page 5: Captain Reborn #5 (of 5)
Brubaker's run on Cap is on of the very few books that I continued to get in singles. I've switched to the collected editions shortly before issue 600, so I'm patiently waiting to read Reborn after I re-read the entire Brubaker Cap series.

page 8: The Stand: Soul Survivor #2 (of 5)
The Stand is on of my all time favorite Stephen King books. I've already read the first series (in collected form), I'm waiting to read the second series (in collected form), so I'll patiently wait to read this version (in collected form).

page 9: The Marvelous Land of Oz #1 (of 8)
Just finished reading the Wonderful Wizard of Oz hardcover and I anxiously await the hardcover version of this. I'm skipping the first issue as I know that I will be buying this in hardcover format.

page 14: SOLEIL
Sky Doll: Doll's Factory #1 (of 2)

Kookaburra K #1 (of 3)

I love Marvel's Soleil imprint. I read the first Sky Doll series so I don't need anything other than that to sell me on the next series. Kookaburra is Humerto Ramos. Give me Ramos on anything that's not a superhero title and I'm likely to buy it.

page 15: Ultimate Comics Avengers #4
Read the first issue. Loved it. Waiting for the collected edition.

page 17: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man#4
Read the first issue. Loved it. Waiting for the collected edition. Ultimate Spider-Man has been my lone Spider-Man purchase for years and even with this reboot is remains my lone Spider-Man purchase.

page 18: Amazing Spider-Man #611
Remember what I just said. This issue changes that. Deadpool written by Joe Casey in a Spider-Man book drawn by Eric Canete! If this was Spidey all the time, I'd read Amazing more often.

page 31: Fantastic Four #573
I love the concept of the FF, however, I haven't followed the FF since Ringo and Waid. I try a new issue with every new creative team and I've very much looking forward to Hickman's FF. If Alan Davis was the interior artist, I've be sold.

page 34: Incredible Hulk #604 Son of Hulk #17

Skaar and Sakar are the stars of these titles. How can you go wrong with Hulk as Conan the Barbarian?

page 59: Astonishing X-Men #32
The only X-Men title that I follow. I like to think of this as the modern X-Men without all the crossovers.

page 77: Incognito
I enjoy Brubaker and Phillips as a team. Put them on any thing and I'm there.
page 78: Powers #1
I'm starting over with Powers. I haven't followed it since it left Image. If it's as good as I remember, then I will start new when this collection is published.

page 79: Powers Encylcopedia Vol 1
I'm a sucker for this type of stuff and since I'm a lapsed Powers reader it makes since for me to read this.


and now we enter the bread and butter of my Marvel purchases ... the collected editions!
page 88: The Stand : American Nightmares
I simply can't wait to read more of the Stand in comic format. There is no doubt that this will be on my reading list as soon as it arrives.

page 95: Runaways : Homeschooling Premeire HC
I've been sold on the Runaways since I read the very first volume a few months ago. I'm still catching up, but by November I should be ready to read this next volume in the saga.

page 96: Avengers: The Korvac Saga Premeire HC
I've always been a huge Avengers fan and the Korvac Saga is a classic Avengers tale that I've glad to see collected.

That's it for me and Marvel Previews this month. Catch me on Friday with my Dark Horse, DC, and Image picks.

No comments: